Accessibility Issue

Description of the issue:
Browser is breaking accessibility for buttons that are grouped with inputs. Using the inspect element, grouped divs are not carrying over aria-labels to buttons. Works on Chrome and Edge, but not Brave.

The second form on the link, which is a search form & button (Search ALL SCHOOL ESSENTIALS), the button is unlabelled in Brave and shows an empty box. If I turn on noscript, the button’s aria-label shows as expected.

Exact URL of the website in question:
https://ucdavisstores.com/MerchList?ID=14872

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
Yes

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
Allowing this script made everything work again (button now shows label and store works correctly): https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.6.1/jquery.min.js

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):
Version 1.60.118 Chromium: 119.0.6045.163 (Official Build) (arm64)

I’m not seeing that, I don’t think. Can you confirm if you see the same issue in the screenshot below?

And if there’s some extra steps in order to see what you’re mentioning, perhaps advise a little more? I’m sitting here trying to see if I can replicate but it doesn’t seem possible, unless I’m misunderstanding something. Screenshots of the problem and differences might be helpful in recognizing, if you’d be able.

Otherwise I’d advise you check to see if it’s due to an extension you’re using, especially if you’re combining uBlock or something along with Shields.

I stated it was a grouped div button and that Brave Shields is blocking one of the main google scripts that’s needed for running.

This is breaking accessibility of web sites and should be a default value in Shield settings.

@AccessibleTech Well, I suppose that @fanboynz may better recognize what you’re saying. But the only thing I see now, and guess I would have phrased differently, is that when you tab over to the search glass it is a plain background and you don’t really have visual confirmation it’s there.

That said, I am able to tab to it and hitting enter on it works where it searches. So it seems everything works perfectly find except it doesn’t “highlight” the search glass. Though this may not even be what you’re referencing, so I guess I’ll watch what gets said/done and will research more later.

I’m always learning things as we go. Keep in mind I’m a normal user. There are some areas I’m knowledgeable in and others I’m not. The terminology you used and how it was phrased was not anything I understood. This is why I asked if you could help on rephrasing or showing, as I’d be able to understand better and could tag in the right people or possibly offer a solution.

Thanks for giving the extra context at least.

1 Like

Is blocked scripts in shields enabled? @AccessibleTech Would toggle this off.

@fanboynz could this be looked into as an accessibility feature that should be allowed by default?

Its not default, but users can choose to enable it. Looking at the warning it seems JS Scripts is disabled, so either Shields or an extension causing it?

How can I address the accessibility issue on Brave browser where grouped divs are not carrying over aria-labels to buttons on certain websites, such as ucdavisstores.com?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.