About the selection of “Web3 provider for using Dapps” in “Extensions” of Settings

Hi, in the selection zone if I set “ASK”, the Browser will ask me automatically next time, for example I choose “Crypto Wallet”, and it will be updated as “Crypto Wallet” always.

But actually I need to be asked again in another time to have other options, i need it ask each time. So is that possible to add this option (ask for each time) in the selection zone?

Thanks.

1 Like

@morganZZ,
To confirm, you’re saying that if set to Ask the browser will as you what option you’d like when prompted. But after choosing one – for example, selecting Crypto wallet – it will then default to this option each time moving forward, is that correct?

1 Like

yes, exactly what I mean. @Mattches
and my brave browser version is 1.9.72.

@morganZZ,
So it appears that this actually is the intended behavior – the browser will default to the method you select when initially asked:
Taken from this issue here: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/7503

The options for the drop down menu will be: Ask , None , Crypto Wallets , and MetaMask if it is installed. The default will be Ask until an explicit option is set. The new preference will be stored with the pref name of brave.wallet.web3_provider in per-profile prefs which are visible in chrome://prefs-internals/. If the user explicitly uses Brave wallet first and opts in and the setting is set to Brave, then even installing MetaMask later won’t change the setting from Brave.

If Ask is selected, UI will be shown as per the section on Infobar work
If None is selected, the entire extension will always be lazy loaded, even if it is installed.
If Crypto Wallets is selected, only Crypto Wallets will be used as a web3 provider.
If MetaMask is selected, only MetaMask will be used as a web3 provider.

If MetaMask is not installed, the existing UX will continue to be valid:

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 12 10 17 PM

If MetaMask is installed, the existing infobar UX highlighted in the Objective section will be repurposed to the following.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 12 11 17 PM

Closing the infobar will use neither provider, it will keep the setting mentioned in the last section to “Ask”.

If the user’s setting is “None”, no infobar will be shown.

@Mattches, thanks for reply, in the item ““wallet”: {“web3_provider”: 2 }” of “brave://prefs-internals/”, I checked, it does work in the way as you said

it appears that this actually is the intended behavior – the browser will default to the method you select when initially asked

But back to my original request (Popup “ask” each time), this current intended behavior is not much convenient for daily use, it’s quick common we use both metamask & cryptowallet, each one has its own purpose, it’s quite inconvenient to manually switch the option in settings.

So is it possible to add this request (Popup “ask” each time) in the browser for daily use? Thanks.

1 Like

@morganZZ,
If you’d like to open a detailed thread in the Feature Requests section of Community, I’d be happy to translate it into a Github issue for the team to review and consider!

1 Like

@Mattches
Ok, thank you.

1 Like

No problem – thank you for supporting Brave : )

1 Like