About:downloads not showing file activity, yet icon in Launcher shows 21 in progress

linux

My problem is that about:downloads doesn’t shows any information about files being downloaded. I know I have 21 incomplete downloads from the Icon in the Launcher, but have no way of determining what files they are or being able to see them to restart the transfer. I have uploaded the screen snippet if it helps. Brave_21_Screen_Snippet_2

Can anyone help me get downloads to show up again and show me how to determine what files have not completed and their URLs, to kick them off again ?

I am using

Brave: 0.25.2 
V8: 6.9.427.23 
rev: 8ea2a9ce5ca329478186e6393e07f1cf87d34a22 
Muon: 8.1.8 
OS Release: 4.4.0-139-generic 
Update Channel: Release 
OS Architecture: x64 
OS Platform: Linux 
Node.js: 7.9.0 
Brave Sync: v1.4.2 
libchromiumcontent: 69.0.3497.100

on Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS

It’s a shared machine, but neither of us meddle really.

Thank you for reading this. I am hoping for a workable answer.

TB

Hello TB-png, I will try to help. You are using the Moun version of Brave which is being depreciated. I am a Ubuntu user myself and would encourage you to install the new build which the Moun version is to migrate to in the future. This link will take you to instructions.
https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux

The page looks like this

You may install the new version without uninstalling the old version. Then at your leisure move your bookmarks, etc. . Don’t forget to copy your key to your wallet if you have one.
If you are not familiar with a Terminal this would be a easy and rewarding way to get your feet wet. Open a Terminal and copy & paste the 4 commands in sequence .
As far as the 21 on the Brave icon that is not a count of incomplete
downloads. Would like to mention the search on this forum will answer a lot of issues . Welcome.

Hi kbounds56,

Thank you for drawing my attention to my running a version of Brave here that is being depreciated. If the SW channel maintainers do the changeover seamlessly, I should be automatically updated or converted to a newer version in due course. I do not need to complicate the machine setup any more, at this stage, by running more than 4 browsers {Brave, Firefox, Midori, & Chrome}.

Since writing the original post, the machine blip crashed on a brownout that beat the UPS’s & power supply’s intervention. Thus, I no longer have the errant browser image running, but as an aside file downloads are now being shown properly in Brave’s bottom bar and in about:downloads . So it seems it got itself internally mangled after a few days of running and reset on restart.

As to determining what file downloads have failed to complete, it seems this is going to be a manual process comparing the history of pages visited to the local content stored, unless someone has any better suggestions ?

Could I perhaps access about:history 's output from a within a shell {or Terminal, as you call it} ? Then I could script my downloaded files search, as they will all be in a known location.

Does anyone perhaps have any other suggestions ?

Regards,

TB

@TB_png
Are you sure that the downloads shown on the icon are actually still downloading? There may be an issue with your cache just not clearing that notification count.

Also, we will have a “seamless” update to Core from the Muon build released shortly. However, you have the opportunity to download it now without waiting for that update. You can still import your browsing data from the old Brave build. And if you’re not interested in keeping the old build around, delete it and then you won’t have added any “additional” browsers.

Hi Mattches,

Thank you for wading in and confirming the transition from Muon build to Core will be seamless when the time comes. Stable and reliable suit me fine.

Based on my usage of the Brave browser, the count of incomplete file operations will be accurate, and indicate the number that have stalled, and will not recover or continue without manual intervention. As I normally operate the machine with little to no free memory, or open file handles, I am used to this behaviour. But not being unable to see what had stalled either in the downloads bar or the about:downloads tab. rattled me.

The server farm I was working with are behind some form of reverse proxy or load sharing facility whose structure is unknown to me, and this setup combined with congestion on the network that I am connected to in the evening hours, and who knows what else, all contribute to the ability to confuse a browser or cause a download request to stall. I am unconvinced my observations are entirely a browser issue, as such. Given the version number I was unconcerned about the Pause / Resume facility in the download not working, whilst grateful that the stop and re-download buttons do. But if you cannot access them they are useless.

I have searched about:history on file extension and saved this. But the output is useless when these are the contents.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<!-- This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
- License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
- file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. -->
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="availableLanguages" content="">
<meta name="defaultLanguage" content="en-US">
<meta name='theme-color' content='#565656'>
<meta name="referrer" content="no-referrer">
<link rel="shortcut icon"type="image/x-icon" href="img/favicon.ico">
<title data-l10n-id="historyTitle"></title>
<script src="ext/l20n.min.js"></script>
<script src="gen/aboutPages.entry.js" async></script>
<link rel="localization" href="locales/{locale}/history.properties">
</head>
<body>
<div id="appContainer"/>
</body>
</html>

In a quick look through both the Settings and online help, I cannot find where to increase the depth of the about:history. Is this fixed or definable ? I would like 8 days minimum but it feels like I only have about 48 hours.

I guess my quest is going to be VERY manual.

Cheers, TB

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.