Ability to choose partition when open a new Session Tab

closed

I’m not sure this is the right title and right category. Feel free to rename and recategorize it. And I hope I explained it well. :slight_smile:

Case:
At this moment, I think Brave always create a new partition every time user create a new session tab(s). It will really helpful if there is an option for user to choose which partition that need to open when create a new tab session. And/or “reset” to the main partition when there is no open session tab(s) so when user create a new session it will start again from first partition.

Step to Reproduce:

• Open a new session tab. (It create partition-1)
  • Go to Gmail and log in.
  • Open a new session tab. (It create partition-2)
  • Go to Gmail and it ask you to log in again. It’s normal because it’s a different session.
  • Close all session tabs. In this time, there is no session tabs open.
  • Open Partitions folder at %appdata%\brave and make sure there is 3 folders (main and two partitions (?)).
  • Open a new session tab and it will create partition-3. If you open another session tab(s), it will repeat to create a new partition(s) until you quit Brave.
  • Open Partitions folder at %appdata%\brave and there is another partition folder(s) created (main, partition-1, partition-2, partition-3, partition-x).

Actual Result:
Brave will always create a new partition when user open a new session tab(s).

Expected behaviour:

• Tab session will “reset” to first partition (or main?) if there is no open session tab. So if user open a new session tab, it will start again from partition-1.
  • Or user have a choice (setting or something else) to choose what partition that need to open when create a new session tab.

OS version: Win 8.1
Brave version: 0.13.5

Thank you :slight_smile: :lion_face:

Hi @eljuno,

This functionality is coming soon with our next release (in fact, we’ll have a preview release available today if you wanted to try it out). Here’s a quick screencap:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6_QLAVVoAAy9uR.jpg:large

I brought this up by right clicking the + for new tab, but you can also do a long press (click and hold). @cezar I forgot- are there keyboard shortcuts for opening these sessions?

Thanks
Brian

Hey @eljuno, that’s a cool feature that’s just landing :wink:

As @clifton mentioned, you’ll be able to open a new tab on the session you want (from 1 to 9 sessions) by using either long press on + button (right-hand size of tabs), or by hamburger (kabob) menu. This way you can keep on the same session as you wish you do.

If you wish to switch between sessions you can just use the two above options or do it using ctrl+shit+s, which will open new sessions always one more than previous, up to 9.

Let us know if that addresses your issue, and thanks for using Brave :wink:

Cool! Can’t wait to see it hit the ground. :slight_smile: :lion_face:

Sure! And thank you for make this feature come to Brave. This improvement will help a lot. :slight_smile: :lion_face: