A slight rant....gemini sign up and verification nightmare (England, UK)

Hello all,

I have just returned to the brave browser, and the brave community after a hiatus, so hello once again.

Has anyone in the UK had problems with gemini, I thought uphold were bad, and forgive my rant, but I need to vent. I tried to create a new account to get some free ethereum, then was told this is not available in my region. Oh well. So I tried to recover a previous existing account, but they do not send a verification to email, and keep going on about something called authy. I install that on the phone, but still no dice!

My last 2 attempts, with TWO different emails I was waiting 10 days plus and was unable to buy crypto, or verify it with brave browser. Uphold, for all their criticism, verifies me within the hour and I am all set the same day. I don’t know if it is because Gemini are based in New York, or have some grievance against the UK or UK nationals, but all my experiences with it have been negative, and the support even worse! When emailing them about the issues mentioned, and expressing my frustration, I got a breezy reply back with “Onwards and upwards” at the end of the email. I am not particularly cheerful, and I appreciate british or english friendliness is not the same as the american way, so to speak, and I persobally am quite blunt and prefer things to get resolved, I dislike faffing around, and the needless faux bon homie.

So just curious, what has been all fellow UK’ers experiences!

Rant here endeth!!

Hey. It could be a nightmare in your case… As for me (From India) it was pretty easy and quick. The support team as well was good with helping me.

Thanks for the reply, SmartAadi.

Sadly it was, and still is. I want brave to have their own wallet.

Thanks again,
A

As of now from what i’ve heard, it seems Brave wants nothing do with verification and KYC/AML. That is because then they would require certain licenses such as money transmitter etc. also it would be cloud nine for hackers if Brave databases get hacked cause then they know your addresses, national id, passport and other stuff all in one place

1 Like

Thks for the reply, seems I have no choice but uphold then, as it is the only thing that seems to work here. This is the reply I got from gemini, what a joke:

Thank you for following up!

Gemini only allows one individual account per customer, as you already created an account (even if it is closed) you will not be able to create a new one and any attempt will be closed.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Onward and Upward,

Total BS!!

As of now from what i’ve heard, it seems Brave wants nothing do with verification and KYC/AML. That is because then they would require certain licenses such as money transmitter etc. also it would be cloud nine for hackers if Brave databases get hacked cause then they know your addresses, national id, passport and other stuff all in one place

Not if they outsource their KYC/AML to a third party provider. In fact, Gemini, Uphold, etc do not even do their own KYC - it is all handled by third parties.

1 Like

I am from the UK and I am not going to connect my wallet to these exchanges. Maintaining all these exchange accounts, satisfying KYC requirements, downloading 2FA authentication apps, etc, it’s a nightmare and a waste of time. I’m just keeping my BAT in the browser until/if Brave ever manage to think of a better solution for claiming rewards.

2 Likes

Thank you for that info. I dislike schemes such as this, I only have a passport as photo ID, and given how a passport from a western hemisphere country can be used for nefarious schemes around the world, I dislike giving out the data page so readily online.

I agree stuff like 2FA is annoying, and going through all this authenticating crap. Here is hoping brave finds a solution that satisfies their users, this has been going on too long IMHO.

If you already have created an account the only thing you can do is try to reopen it, new ones will be always shut down and can ban your ID forever.

1 Like

I have had to give up with gemini, been nothing but a frustrating experience, but my opinion is my own and I can only speak for myself, others experiences may well differ and be more positive, and that is fine, but my opinion is my own. I hold out hope that brave will have a wallet one day that will be easy to use.

Having to do with these exchanges is never a good thing, specially for Brave being focused on the privacy, but I have to say both Gemini and Uphold didn’t gave me problems, apart Gemini doesn’t allow new linking from my country in this moment; Uphold is different, the fees are obscene but I can withdraw directly in my Revolut at zero cost, basically I use it only as an intermediate, not as an exchange, but fine. In Gemini trading is very well designed, fees for maker are 0.2% (much better than others) but the volume is always low, so the prices movement sometime is barely noticeable. I agree with you, Brave has to find a better and solid solution to withdraw rewards, to me the entire project life depends on it.

1 Like

I have not tried revolut, but have heard it is very crypto currency friendly. And I agree about uphold, it is fine as an intermediate.

I tried it linking a browser and trading BAT with any other token it costs you around 3 BAT, but withdrawing in your Revolut account it’s zero fee, to me the most convenient way. But I still prefer using Gemini, trading BAT with BTC and doing the opposite when the price changes.

1 Like

Interesting, something to think about, I don’t trade as I am not good at maths (kind of like dyslexia, but with numbers, instead of words, if that makes any sense?).

1 Like

Yeah, math is crucial for trading (and crypto in general), but you could just start with the fundamentals: buy low, sell high :grin:

2 Likes

I’m just not good at it, but on the other side, I am good at languages and writing, so it sort of balances out, lol

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.