Originally written by @clifton
If you’re experiencing an error, let’s try a few troubleshooting steps:
Try going into Shields Down mode
- Click the Brave logo in the top right to bring up the Site Shield Settings modal
- Toggle the site from
- The page should reload itself (if it doesn’t, refresh the page manually)
If this works and you don’t want to leave shields off, consider turning them back on and then disabling features one at a time. For example, fingerprint protection is a great feature, but it can cause problems with some websites.
Check the development console
- On Windows, you can bring this up with
- On macOS, you can bring the tools up with
If you’re using a dev channel build, you can open a console that will show application output (errors initializing electron, etc). This can be brought up with
Let us know about it
There are always bugs creeping out there and we’ll do our best job to address them
Go to the search center to see if there’s already an issue reported for the site you’re having problems with.
If there is already an open topic:
- Sometimes folks will describe a work-around. This might help you get back up and running!
- Give it a +1 or leave a comment letting us know. This helps us not only know about the issue, but how the problem impacts you.
- Consider sharing specific details. Does the problem happen all the time? Are there any errors in the browser’s developer console? Do you have a screenshot that might be helpful?
If there is NOT an open topic:
- Let’s create a new topic Having a topic helps us become aware of the incompatibility so that we can start to look at understanding and fixing the issue.
- When you create a topic, let’s make sure we capture the following info
- Tell us your Brave version.
- Tell us your operating system version (Windows 7, OS X 10.11.6, Ubuntu 16.04 for example).
- Tell us the Shield settings you have for the particular site (click on the lion icon in the upper-right to find out).
- Give us step-by-step instructions on how to repeat your issue.
- If possible, you may wish to include a screenshot or recording of the issue (Licecap is totally free to use http://www.cockos.com/licecap/).
- Please do not share personal information (phone number, home address, etc.)