A few words about regional sections of the forum

The Internet has no boundaries. That’s why almost all online communities need regional sections. If Brave really want to change the web, the team need to create large and cohesive community of users.

Many popular browsers have regional sections on their forums, but sometimes it just does not work. Many regional sections are almost dead: almost no one writes, almost no one replies. If you want regional sections to be really useful for your users, you need a really large community.

Is Brave ready to create regional sections? I don’t think so. Does Brave need it? I’m sure: yes! But if tomorrow the team will add regional sections, most likely it will not work: here are not so many users who want to use their native languages instead of English, but they exist!

Last weeks I saw several topics in Russian. It mean that here’re users who just can not use English to find the answer or solution. But sometimes they really need help. And I think I know how to change it: just add regions as tags.

Now we have 2 ways to sort publications: categories and tags. So just add the third one – regions – and add something like tags: US for United States, UK for United Kingdom, RU for Russia, UA for Ukraine, etc.

Users will ask their questions in the relevant categories, but if they use a foreign (non-English) language, they will just add regional label . If someone know the browser and want to help other users, he will just choose “Desktop Support” and “FR” to reply all users from France. What do you think?

UPD
Forget about the regions, it was a mistake: almost everyone who lives in Latin America speaks Spanish, almost everyone who lives in the CIS knows Russian and almost everyone who uses this forum knows English. We shouldn’t divide countries, we need to mark languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Russian, etc.

2 Likes

@asad @Mattches please look at this content

I do know based on conversations I’ve had here on the forum with members of the Development Team (@Asad) that Multi-Lingual support is something that is/has been discussed. Hopefully in the future it will be deployed.

At the moment the primary language for Community is English but this is DEFINITELY something we’re working on supporting in the near future!

2 Likes