3x Speed Video playback Error on Youtube from Brave version 88... onwards

After updating from version 87.1.18.78,118.78 to 88… (the update that added graphical changes to the top of the window to differentiate private browsing and tor), the video playback seems to be adversely affected when sped up.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Watch a video on youtube.com and enter ‘document.getElementsByTagName(“video”)[0].playbackRate=3’ into the javascript console

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
The visual content speeds up significantly ahead of the audio (much faster than the applied 3x speed), and then the video will pause as it tries to buffer. If you pause/unpause the video, it still doesn’t always fix it, you have to press ‘left-arrow’ and then ‘right-arrow’ to skip back and forth to manually reset the video playback progress.

Expected result:
The video plays back at 3x speed as per the previous versions of Brave Browser

Reproduces how often:
Several times throughout a video, maybe once every 1 or 2 minutes

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
MacOS, any 88… version, including the most recent (88.1.19.86,119.86) as per homebrew

Additional Information: I really liked Brave browser but now I can’t reliably use it. Safari has better apple ecosystem integration, and firefox can be easily setup with outstanding privacy features, but they both have poor video playback when sped up (the audio sounds strange). Chrome has an excellent video playback system, and brave takes that but buffs the privacy sufficiently, making it my browser of choice. At this stage, I am prioritising privacy over security by using an outdated version of Brave Browser instead of chrome for video playback, but hope that this issue can be addressed for newer versions of the Brave Browser. I would be very appreciative if this could be fixed, thanks!

Not supported by Youtube which also means not supported by the browser.
It has a reason why you can’t select anything over 2x speed on youtube.

I don’t think that line of thought is logical. Playing videos on 3x speed is supported by the latest version of the Google Chrome browser (and Google own youtube), and it was supported by previous versions of the Brave Browser

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.