255.255.255.255 appears in uMatrix column XHR

See closed topic After update to v79.1.1.23 "255.255.255.255"appears in uMatrix column XHR (for all sites)

uMatrix on my mac shows 255.255.255.255 xhr allowed

my /etc/hosts shows:

# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

my nslookup shows:

iMac ~ % nslookup broadcasthost
Server:		x.x.x.x
Address:	x.x.x.x#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	broadcasthost
Address: 92.242.132.24

Whois shows:

iMac ~ % whois 92.242.132.24
% IANA WHOIS server
% for more information on IANA, visit http://www.iana.org
% This query returned 1 object

refer:        whois.ripe.net

inetnum:      92.0.0.0 - 92.255.255.255
organisation: RIPE NCC
status:       ALLOCATED

whois:        whois.ripe.net

changed:      2007-03
source:       IANA

# whois.ripe.net

inetnum:        92.242.130.0 - 92.242.132.255
netname:        BAREFRUIT-ERRORHANDLING
descr:          NU
country:        GB
org:            ORG-BL53-RIPE
admin-c:        PR42-RIPE
tech-c:         PR42-RIPE
status:         ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by:         CATALYST2-MNT
created:        2008-07-28T14:00:50Z
last-modified:  2008-07-28T14:00:50Z
source:         RIPE

organisation:   ORG-BL53-RIPE
org-name:       Barefruit Ltd.
org-type:       LIR
address:        57 Greek Street
address:        W1D 3DX
address:        London
address:        UNITED KINGDOM
phone:          +44 203 214 0072
admin-c:        PR42-RIPE
mnt-ref:        CATALYST2-MNT
mnt-ref:        RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-by:         RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-by:         CATALYST2-MNT
abuse-c:        BA5057-RIPE
created:        2007-12-14T12:37:34Z
last-modified:  2019-05-08T13:12:14Z
source:         RIPE # Filtered

person:         Paul Redpath
remarks:        Catalyst2 Services Ltd
org:            ORG-csl3-RIPE
address:        Forsyth House
address:        Cromac Square
address:        Belfast
address:        BT2 8LA
phone:          +44 800 107 7979
fax-no:         +44 845 280 4993
mnt-by:         CATALYST2-MNT
created:        2004-01-12T14:35:03Z
last-modified:  2017-10-30T21:46:13Z
source:         RIPE # Filtered
nic-hdl:        PR42-RIPE

% Information related to '92.242.132.0/24AS45028'

route:          92.242.132.0/24
descr:          BAREFRUIT-EU-WEBRECEIVE-ANYCAST
origin:         AS45028
mnt-by:         CATALYST2-MNT
created:        2008-04-23T11:52:48Z
last-modified:  2008-04-23T11:52:48Z
source:         RIPE

% This query was served by the RIPE Database Query Service version 1.96 (ANGUS)

My gut reaction is that someone at BAREFRUIT-EU-WEBRECEIVE-ANYCAST got their configuration wrong.

My original DNS entries were from Virgin Media

iMac ~ % nslookup broadcasthost 194.168.4.100
Server:		194.168.4.100
Address:	194.168.4.100#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	broadcasthost
Address: 92.242.132.24
94.168.4.100

iMac ~ % nslookup broadcasthost 194.168.8.100
Server: 194.168.8.100
Address: 194.168.8.100#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: broadcasthost
Address: 92.242.132.24

I changed to Google’s 8.8.8.8 instead in my network settings, as it doen’t know who broadcasthost is:

iMac ~ % nslookup broadcasthost 8.8.8.8      
Server:		8.8.8.8
Address:	8.8.8.8#53

** server can't find broadcasthost: NXDOMAIN

There is more…

A traceroute to 92.242.132.24 for me shows:

iMac ~ % traceroute 92.242.132.24
traceroute to 92.242.132.24 (92.242.132.24), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  192.x.x.x (192.x.x.x)  1.970 ms  2.681 ms  1.871 ms
 2  * * *
 3  nrth-core-2b-xe-825-0.network.virginmedia.net (x.x.x.x)  14.137 ms  12.620 ms  13.001 ms
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  * * *
 7  m686-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net (62.254.42.174)  19.184 ms  17.586 ms  18.045 ms
 8  * * uk-lon03a-ri2-ae-50-0.aorta.net (84.116.135.69)  18.581 ms
 9  * uk-lon01b-ri1-ae-25-0.aorta.net (84.116.136.102)  17.657 ms  17.313 ms
10  ldn-b1-link.telia.net (213.248.84.25)  19.233 ms
    uk-lon01b-ri1-ae-23-0.aorta.net (84.116.135.30)  20.495 ms
    ldn-b1-link.telia.net (213.248.84.25)  17.599 ms
11  ldn-b1-link.telia.net (213.248.84.25)  17.516 ms
    ldn-bb3-link.telia.net (62.115.114.234)  19.734 ms
    ldn-b1-link.telia.net (213.248.84.25)  18.713 ms
12  ldn-bb3-link.telia.net (62.115.114.234)  19.287 ms
    ldn-b7-link.telia.net (62.115.138.155)  18.334 ms
    ldn-bb4-link.telia.net (62.115.143.26)  17.741 ms
13  catalyst2-ic-342248-ldn-b7.c.telia.net (62.115.171.151)  19.040 ms
    ldn-b7-link.telia.net (62.115.138.155)  17.549 ms
    ldn-b7-link.telia.net (62.115.138.151)  18.831 ms
14  catalyst2-ic-342248-ldn-b7.c.telia.net (62.115.171.151)  20.466 ms
    84.18.192.138 (84.18.192.138)  19.009 ms  17.475 ms
15  84.18.192.138 (84.18.192.138)  20.065 ms  19.082 ms *
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * * *
21  *^C
iMac ~ %

It seemed everything bogus I put into nslookup resolved to 92.242.132.24.

Had to go to my isp virginmedia url https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings and deselect the advanced error search. That fixed that resolve issue.

Umatrix still shows what appears to be an A record of 255.255.255.255 though

I deleted browser, reinstalled browser, added umatrix version 1.3.6 and then upgraded to version 1.4.0. No more 255.255.255.255 xhr requirements… gone.

1 Like