150GB of webtorrent downloads disappear?


#1

UPDATE

I located one of the files under /tmp/webtorrents and the other was 0 length. I did see a window pop up just now that asked where I wanted to put the file that was currently downloading, with the default being the ~/Download directory. Accepting the default seemed to produce no effect. So I just created ~/wikileaks and moved the file, terminating the torrent tabs. The behavior here is still rather mysterious.

ORIGINAL ISSUE

I downloaded a couple of Wikileaks torrents yesterday. The system is remote (accessed via TeamViewer). These downloads apparently completed. Before I could look at them, my remote connection went down. It came back up today. When I opened Brave, restoring the webtorrent tabs, it prompted me to download the torrents again. Curious, I clicked on them and webtorrent informed me it was downloading them from scratch.

Any idea where I could find them?

(150GB is about 1/3 of one month’s worth of bandwidth usage for me/)

Brave: 0.19.70
rev: d4b94c6215bb130250fe5245787a5884dc9b51fe
Muon: 4.5.9
libchromiumcontent: 62.0.3202.62
V8: 6.2.414.32
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Platform: Linux
OS Release: 4.13.0-21-generic
OS Architecture: x64


#2

Hi @jabowery did you happen to scour the installation folder as well?

Have you analysed whether the GB of memory in you SSD/HDD is more so or less so since you realized your issue?

One final point I’d like to make which may be beneficial for you and rather apt which is to say that the team may push a dependency update specifically related to the webtorrent app very soon. If you want advice from someone who has lost a lot of data many-a-times related to this browser, I’d strictly hold of updating and downloading anything further until you figure out what happened and where you downloads are. However, I should also mention that the update coming may be a critical security update so looks like you’re in a catch-22 situation.

If you don’t find the below link helpful, I could cc a couple of members of the team referencing your topic in Github if you’d like.

The below link basically shows all the issues users are requesting and facing regarding the webapp if you wanted to peruse it.


#3

I did a:

find / -xdev -type f -size +50M

and came up dry.

I suppose it’s possible I misread the original download status – prior to loss of my TeamViewer connection.

In any event, I downloaded the files again with the Brave torrent facility and it worked.


#4

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.